During the war years KOY staged annual Fourth of July fireworks celebrations at Encanto Park. Purchase of a war bond was the price of admission. Albert D. Johnson was appointed general manager in 1944. In 1945, KOYs studio address became its current location of 840 N. Central Ave. It was that location that to this day is termed The KOY Building. Covering Arizona Like the Sun became the action line for rounding up both local and national advertisers.
The KOY sound literally blanketed the state with its home spun local programming, news & public service. One of the stations most popular personalities in those days was the Singing Announcer, Joe Dana, father of KPNX-TV News Anchorman Kent Dana. The Salt River Broadcasting Company was transferred to John L. Hogg, commercial manager of KOY and his associates in late 1948 following the death of Owner and President Burridge D. Butler.
It was then that Mr. Hogg became president of KOY. In early 1949, the power of the station was increased to 5,000 watts during daylight hours; night time power remained at the 1,000 watt level. For a brief period KOY entered the television business, sharing the operations of Channel 10 with KOOL. Because early television involved large expenses and very small income, it was decided that KOY would do much better if it concentrated on radio.