1950's and 1960's
Williams was heard on KOY for forty-five consecutive years. KOYs news director during the fifties and early sixties was Bill Close, who became one of the states leading newsmen. James T. Ross was appointed station manager of KOY in 1962. KOY saw additional changes in 1966, with the expiration of its ABC affiliation and the passing of GM John L. Hogg. As a result, Vice President Glenn Snyder became chairman of the board of the KOY Broadcasting Company, while Jack Williams, secretary and assistant to the president, was named President of the firm. (In late 1966 Mr. Williams was elected governor of Arizona) James T. Ross rose to General Manager of KOY. Station Owners Jack Williams, Glenn Snyder, George Cook, and Mrs. John Hogg began negotiations resulting in the sale of KOY to Southern Broadcasting Company owned in part by John G. Johnson, President.
The $1.9 million sale gained FCC approval in March 1967. New Years Day 1968 was the effective date of ABCs new four-network service and KOY disbanded the Arizona Network. In April 1968 the FCC granted KOY permission to relocate its transmitter to Northwest 36th St. between Vineland Road and Southern Avenue.